Duck & Waffle

For a long time, I'd been wanting to go to Duck and Waffle in London. It had popped up on numerous blogs and websites. It was the combination of views over London and a quirky menu which had really grabbed my attention. I had finally got around to making a dinner reservation for a Friday afternoon. My experience at Duck and Waffle did not disappoint. 



An experience in itself, the glass lift to the 40th floor is slightly terrifying and spectacular at the same time. Upon arrival to Duck and Waffle on the 40th Floor of Heron Tower; you're treated to some incredible views of the City. Facing Southwards, our table had views of the Gherkin, the Tower of London, Canary Wharf and Tower Bridge. Not to mention the Panoramic views around the rest of the restaurant. 



From various reviews, I was quite keen to try the BBQ-Spiced Crispy Pigs Ears, only to find out that they had run out. Fortunately though, the waitress suggested the Bacon Wrapped Dates as a snack whilst we perused the menu. It is quite possible this was my favourite dish from the day. Salty but sweet, the soft dates wrapped in crispy bacon were a treat and I could have eaten about 10. Though in hindsight, probably best to just stick to one or two per person. 



Next, we decided to share a few Small Plates. The Roasted Octopus with Chorizo and Capers, the Spicy Ox Cheek Donut with an Apricot Jam, and a Scotch Bhadji. 




The Roasted Octopus, perhaps the least wacky creation from the small plates sample we selected was incredible, and incredibly tender. Served in a Skillet, this was another top dish of the day for me. 



The Spiced Ox Cheek Donut really caught my eye on the menu; as different as it may seem, when it arrived, it was pretty much as I had imagined it. To me it was a new take on a steamed Dim Sum, such as Char Sui - the dough was sweet, the meat was sweet, but I did really enjoy the dusting of smoked paprika. Another really enjoyable dish. 




At this point in the meal it occurred to me that each dish was incredibly rich and heavy. It might have been worth ordering a few lighter dishes, or off of the 'Raw Bar' menu. 

Next to arrive, was the Scotch Bhadji - with spiced Cumberland Sausage and caramelised onion yoghurt. To me, this was a really crazy concoction - with the other dishes I could follow the logic behind the creation, but this one threw me, whilst at the same time sounded amazing. 

The Bhadji, being on the small plate section of the menu, was ironically a monster. There were two of us, and I honestly think that this 'small plate' could have been shared between four. 

It was an interesting blend of Indian and British flavours, which I really enjoyed. Again though, very rich and heavy.





A surprise egg in the Bhadji.


We were then presented with the final dish, Duck and Waffle - crispy duck leg confit on top of a waffle, with a fried duck egg on top drizzled with mustard maple syrup. This signature dish did not disappoint, everything worked well, and was cooked to perfection. I would highly recommend Duck and Waffle as a dish and as a restaurant. A slightly quirky menu, executed well, in a fantastic venue. I will be back here again for certain. 




The sun began to set over the City as London lit up. 



We stayed and finished our drinks - sadly with no room for dessert. I think that will have to wait for another post. 



No comments:

Post a Comment